Re: Apologies and a question...

On Oct 30,  9:19am, Gary Strand wrote:
> Now, for the same question John Cortinas asked:
> > Is there something wrong with my configuration if everytime I start
> > the latest version of ferret it tries to open an X window?  I get the
> > following error when I'm not on a system that supports windows:
> >
> > Error:Can't open display:
> >
> > Previous versions of FERRET did not do this.  Any suggestions?
>
> So far as I can tell, it's not an X configuration change that will make it
> work. Seeing as how I have a ~6000 line script that will take about 6 hours
> run, I sure would like to be able to run it without having X running, say,
> over a week- end.
>
> Any ideas?
>-- End of excerpt from Gary Strand

This is a question that I have had also. In my case it's a little different in
that some of us do get windows, and some don't. We are all running both ferret
V4.11 and V4.30 on Silicon Graphics under IRIX 5.3. Thus, it must be something
in the X-windows setup.

On another topic - a warning. Ferret will not currently run under IRIX 6.2, it
appears to be caused by the new revision of X-windows (rev. 6). So if you are
on SGI's and want to keep running ferret, leave one machine at IRIX 6.1 or
below. I am working with Jerry Davison on this, though we might have to wait
until Steve Hankin get's back from travel.

	Mark

	      Mark Verschell (verschell@coaps.fsu.edu)
	      Center for Ocean and Atmospheric Prediction Studies
	      Florida State University
              2035 E. Paul Dirac Drive
              R.M. Johnson Bldg. - Suite 200
	      Tallahassee, FL  32310
	      (904) 644-6532              (904) 644-4841 (fax)

Dept of Commerce / NOAA / OAR / ERL / PMEL / TMAP