Exceeding plot buffer size -- a workaround

Hi Ferreters -

Emanuele Lombardi recently asked how to proceed when the data to be plotted
exceeds the plotplus buffer size.  Since the plot buffer size is fixed, a
general approach to the problem is to make the plot in two or more steps,
plotting (or shading) only what can be contained in the buffer each time.

The example below illustrates the approach:

yes? set data coads-climatology
yes? shade/l=7/xlim=0:360/ylim=-90:90/x=0:180/lev=(-2,30,2) sst
yes? shade/l=7/xlim=0:360/ylim=-90:90/x=180:360/lev=(-2,30,2)/over/lev/nolab
sst

The first SHADE command plots the SST field from x=0:180.  The second is an
overlay, shading the field from x=180:360.  Note that this solution may require
the specification of XLIM and YLIM to ensure the plot domain is appropriate;
and also note the same SHADE levels are requested in the overlay (using /LEV),
and /NOLABEL, to prevent additional annotation on the plot.

This approach will work for line plots, as well.

	Regards,

	Jerry Davison

lele@mantegna.casaccia.enea.it

--
davison@noaapmel.gov

Dept of Commerce / NOAA / OAR / ERL / PMEL / TMAP