Re: Decimal digits in contour labels

	**** Control over the spacing of contour labels ****

Hi Michel,

The PLOT+ program makes decisions to determine if there is adequate space for a
contour label. Its logic is based on the gradients within the field -- so that
if lines are densely packed or tightly curved it avoids placing labels in that
region. (As Billy Kessler says), this can (maddeningly) result in no labels at
all some times. It is particularly acute with noisy data.

My guess is that as you are increasing the number of decimals requested you are
also increasing the length of the formatted numerical string to be written
hence PLOT+ demands more room before it is willing to insert the label.

The magic argument that gives some control over this is a little goodie on the
CONSET command -- the "dslab" (delta arc length) which controls the nominal
spacing of contour labels (see page 12-4 of the PLOT+ Users Guide). The example
below illustrates.

	Happy Ferreting - steve

! default contour labeling
contour/i=1:20/j=1:20 (x^2 + y^2) ^ 0.5

! make the labels bigger
ppl conset .2
contour/i=1:20/j=1:20 (x^2 + y^2) ^ 0.5

! make the labels closer together    <== THIS IS THE KEY!
ppl conset .2,,,,,,,1
contour/i=1:20/j=1:20 (x^2 + y^2) ^ 0.5

! restore defaults
ppl conset .08,,,,,,,5

--

		|  NOAA/PMEL               |  ph. (206) 526-6080
Steve Hankin	|  7600 Sand Point Way NE  |  FAX (206) 526-6744
		|  Seattle, WA 98115-0070  |  hankin@pmel.noaa.gov

Dept of Commerce / NOAA / OAR / ERL / PMEL / TMAP