cdl files for sigma co-ords

I am trying to use ferret to plot in sigma co-ordinates.  Does anybody
know of a way of creating a cdl such that the data for the depth grid
can be read in to accomadate sigma co-ordinates?

That is a depth varying with the x,y and z axis.

I know that a sigma axis can be defined using "unit= layer", but I am
after a way of specifying data for z so that it represents sigma
co-ordinates.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Peter Oke

 Peter Oke
 Applied Mathematics
 UNSW, Sydney.
 e-mail  petero@maths.unsw.edu.au

Dept of Commerce / NOAA / OAR / ERL / PMEL / TMAP