plotting lon-lat-val lists

Hi all -

To reply to Steve's question (below), random access to the data and
hyperslabbing is not possible until the data have been placed on a regular
grid.

I have received COADS data in a similar (though not NetCDF) arrangement from
NCAR.  I used a FORTRAN routine to place the available data into a lon-lat
grid.  From that point I was able to use Ferret to slice the data, and generate
fill and contour plots.

I'll be happy to share the algorithm with anyone with an interest.  It converts
lon-lat coordinate pairs to array indices in a straightforward way and drops
the field values into the array.  I wrote the program before we began using
NetCDF, however, so it does not convert the data into that format.

	Regards,

	Jerry Davison

--
davison@noaapmel.gov

Dept of Commerce / NOAA / OAR / ERL / PMEL / TMAP