[ferret_users] Unable to open window in pyferret

Hi,

I'm looking into pyferret for a research student, I'm afraid I have no prior experience with pyferret. I am installing it into a WSL Ubuntu shell on a Windows PC using miniconda. When trying to create a window I get the following error:

grdelWindowCreate: error when calling createWindow in pyferret.graphbind: PY_SSIZE_T_CLEAN macro must be defined for '#' formats

As this error seems to be linked to Python 3.10 I have created a new env using 3.9. When creating a new window I now get:

grdelWindowCreate: error when calling createWindow in pyferret.graphbind: The PQ viewers requires PySide2, PyQt5, or PyQt4

pyside2, and pyqt are installed.

I tried installing another env, with Python 3.10 and forcing install of pyferret=7.6.5, but it seems to install 7.6.4 anyway and the first error reappears.

I can run ferretmagic in notebooks, so the installation seems to work in principle.

Can anyone please outline if this is a bug or if I am, probably, making some misstep in the installation. My installation steps below:

REM Powershell as admin
wsl --install -d Ubuntu

bash Miniconda3-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh
sudo apt-get install libxrender1
edit .bashrc to add export DISPLAY=:0
REM reload Ubuntu shell
REM conda install
conda update -y -n base -c defaults conda
conda create -y -n FERRET -c conda-forge pyferret ferret_datasets python=3.9
conda activate FERRET
conda install -y -c conda-forge scipy
conda install -y -c conda-forge pyshp
conda install -y -c conda-forge jupyter