Re: [ferret_users] pyferret on M2 macs

Hi Ryo.

conda does not build or compile PyFerret, it can only install and link already-compiled versions with the utilities (python) and packages it needs.

But there is no version of Pyferret built for arm64, at least not on github. (There are arm64 python and conda versions, however).

The stackoverflow page you link to is running Pyferret through Rosetta (Apple tool to run pre-arm64 code) without any sort of announcement that it's doing so.

This matters to me because it appears that a user needs admin privileges to run Rosetta. It can't be done from a non-admin account (if you know a way please tell me). While I do have an admin account, it's for development and I'm not allowed to use it for routine work.

Did you do this from an admin account? Or having installed Pyferret via conda as an admin per stackoverflow, can you then run it from a regular account?

Billy