[ferret_users] opendap access and error "Invalid character found in the request target"

Hi,

I have encountered a strange error when I have opened a remote ressource from my thredds server.
A simple list of a element throws an error that comes from the thredds server.
It appears only with ferret and not pyferret (I found quicker ferret for displaying).

I have made some investigation from the mailing list and have found this thread
https://www.pmel.noaa.gov/maillists/tmap/ferret_users/fu_2011/msg00723.html
Not clear on what to do.

Tested with ferret 7.6.0

yes? use https://thredds-su.ipsl.fr/thredds/dodsC/ipsl_thredds/brocksce/tmp/ORCHIDEEv3_S2_cVegpft_corrected.nc
yes? show data
yes? list CVEGPFT[i=1,j=1,k=1,l=1]

HTTP Status 400 – Bad Request

Type Exception Report

Message Invalid character found in the request target [/thredds/dodsC/ipsl_thredds/brocksce/tmp/ORCHIDEEv3_S2_cVegpft_corrected.nc.dods?cVegpft.cVegpft[0][0][0:359][0:719] ]. The valid characters are defined in RFC 7230 and RFC 3986

Description The server cannot or will not process the request due to something that is perceived to be a client error (e.g., malformed request syntax, invalid request message framing, or deceptive request routing).

Exception

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid character found in the request target [/thredds/dodsC/ipsl_thredds/brocksce/tmp/ORCHIDEEv3_S2_cVegpft_corrected.nc.dods?cVegpft.cVegpft[0][0][0:359][0:719] ]. The valid characters are defined in RFC 7230 and RFC 3986 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11InputBuffer.parseRequestLine(Http11InputBuffer.java:509) org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:511) org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:65) org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:831) org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1650) org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49) org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1191) org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:659) org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61) java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:829)

Note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the server logs.

Apache Tomcat/8.5.72

Any idea ?
Regards
Patrick

--
Data Analytics and Visualization Engineer / Project Manager
LSCE/IPSL, CEA-CNRS-UVSQ laboratory