[ferret_users] Re: Thermal expansion coefficient and Haline contraction coefficient

Dear Ferreters
To fully expand this query is to compute e.g. thermal expansion coefficient (alpha)

alpha = -(1/rho) * d(rho)/d(theta)

d(rho)/d(theta) means a partial derivative of potential density wrt potential temperature.

And I am not sure how to compute it.

The script suggested in the link https://www.pmel.noaa.gov/maillists/tmap/ferret_users/fu_2017/msg00111.html is also attached to this email. However, it was an old script that computed the potential density using the state equation involving all the co-efficient. Now we can compute rho_un with the ferret functionality but how to compute partial derivative d(rho)/d(theta) is the part that I want to resolve.

Cheers, Saurabh