Re: [ferret_users] How to read WRF output and plot ?

I don’t know if this helps since it is a partial answer, but I have noticed this issue as well. As a long-time WRF and Ferret user, I’ve found Ferret to be the quickest and easiest way to do quick looks of my WRF model output. However, sometime recently (last year or two?), the problem noted by Jeevan started happening to me in certain situations. Depending on which computer I’m using, I get the issue. I have not taken the time yet to track down which version(s) are problematic and which work. For a while, I was suspicious it was because I had hand modified WRF to output in the CDF5 format for larger files, which sometimes messes with post-processing software. However, I have narrowed down that I do not think CDF5 vs. CDF2 format of netCDF is the issue.

-Bill

From: <owner-ferret_users@xxxxxxxx> on behalf of Jeevan Kumar Bodaballa <jeevan.mech.307@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, September 6, 2021 at 1:42 AM
To: Ryo Furue <furue@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "ferret_users@xxxxxxxx" <ferret_users@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ferret_users] How to read WRF output and plot ?

Check twice before you click! This email originated from outside PNNL.

  Thank you for response and I copied from my terminal as you said (Also I have copied first three variables)

For ncdump -h

(base) jeevan@MacBook-Pro idojaros % ncdump -h wrfout_d01_2020-01-16_00_00_jk_E_G.nc

netcdf wrfout_d01_2020-01-16_00_00_jk_E_G {

dimensions:

Time = UNLIMITED ; // (1 currently)

DateStrLen = 19 ;

west_east = 399 ;

south_north = 369 ;

bottom_top = 60 ;

bottom_top_stag = 61 ;

soil_layers_stag = 4 ;

west_east_stag = 400 ;

south_north_stag = 370 ;

pft_fraction_stag = 17 ;

seed_dim_stag = 12 ;

snow_layers_stag = 3 ;

snso_layers_stag = 7 ;

variables:

char Times(Time, DateStrLen) ;

float XLAT(Time, south_north, west_east) ;

XLAT:FieldType = 104 ;

XLAT:MemoryOrder = "XY " ;

XLAT:description = "LATITUDE, SOUTH IS NEGATIVE" ;

XLAT:units = "degree_north" ;

XLAT:stagger = "" ;

XLAT:coordinates = "XLONG XLAT" ;

float XLONG(Time, south_north, west_east) ;

XLONG:FieldType = 104 ;

XLONG:MemoryOrder = "XY " ;

XLONG:description = "LONGITUDE, WEST IS NEGATIVE" ;

XLONG:units = "degree_east" ;

XLONG:stagger = "" ;

XLONG:coordinates = "XLONG XLAT" ;

And for ncdump -c

(base) jeevan@MacBook-Pro idojaros % ncdump -c wrfout_d01_2020-01-16_00_00_jk_E_G.nc

[...]

float LU_INDEX(Time, south_north, west_east) ;

LU_INDEX:FieldType = 104 ;

LU_INDEX:MemoryOrder = "XY " ;

LU_INDEX:description = "LAND USE CATEGORY" ;

LU_INDEX:units = "" ;

LU_INDEX:stagger = "" ;

LU_INDEX:coordinates = "XLONG XLAT XTIME" ;