Re: [ferret_users] Regridding from a regular grid to natural coordinates defined by along/cross isotherms, isobars, bathymetry, streamlines etc.

Hi Sybren,

In theory I have to map xv(i,j) to xvnew(I,jstar)  with jstar=j-j1

Ferret wants me to define a new y-axis but does not allow me to define ystar by a let command, and using j and ja gives errors because of recursive problems.

Has anybody experience with regridding to something like streamline-coordinates and/or does anybody know how to perform such a regridding operation in ferret?

I do that using Fortran. I didn't even consider using Ferret. . . . But I guess you can at least define xstar(i) and ystar(i) for a single curve.  Then you can get the values along the curve using the SAMPLEXY(var, xstar, ystar) function.  Save the result and move on to the next curve. . . . Finally, you combine these "layers" in the ystar direction.

In my Fortran code, I just shift the array in the j direction by j1.

Regards,
Ryo

Sybren