Re: [ferret_users] reading a small portion of stream binary file

Hi Ansley,

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 1:18 AM Ansley C. Manke <ansley.b.manke@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I agree that using other tools is the best solution.

I'm not sure about that.  I haven't found a better tool than Ferret.

Actually I think "ncgen" would be the RIGHT tool.  That is, I'm thinking of pushing the netCDF developers to extend "ncgen" to allow for binary files.  Currently, ncgen accepts only ASCII data:

    data:
     VAR = 0.5, 1.5, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, 5.5, 6.5, . . .

It would make perfect sense to extend the format to allow for an external binary file in such a way as

data:
  VAR: file("path/to/mydata.bin", stream, big_endian)

just for an example.

Until that happens, Ferret is still the best tool, isn't it?  For my problem at hand, I chopped the original binary file into smaller pieces and was able to combine them into a single netCDF file with just ~5 lines of additional Ferret code (plus a five-line shell program to split the binary file).

Ryo