Re: [ferret_users] Re: Vertical Axis Truncated during REPEAT: GO MYSCRIPT

Alexander—

On  4 Sep 14:31 Alexander Audet wrote:
> I still don't understand the behavior though. I noticed that when I used
> REPEAT/K=8:1:-1, some of my Go script intermediate files which only had 1
> pressure level failed because they did not have 8 z-levels, and REPEAT
> somehow seemed to impose the rule inside the script that all datasets
> needed to give data on the current K-iteration z-level (a.k.a. their 8th
> z-level).
>
> It also appears that REPEAT/K=1:8:1, created a pseudo variable on an
> abstract axis with unlimited points, but that after my go-script, the
> abstract grid of the pseudo variable has been replaced by a non-abstract
> grid with a set pressure level.
>
> REPEAT/Range also creates a grid with a single fixed pressure level, but
> don't seem to have a problem moving to a new grid on the next count.
>
> I would like to better understand what is going on here. Any ideas? Perhaps
> I need to refresh my understanding of abstract axes?

In my experience looping over pseudo-variables (REPEAT/K=...) looks
handy and clear for simple loops as long as no ambiguity is introduced
through more than one grid.  When issues arise, I introduce a
user-variable index that does not relate to any grid
(REPEAT/RANGE=.../NAME=ii).

I hope that it will become a bit more clear from the documentation that
Ansley has planned to add on REPEAT loops, based on this and my recent
«high-to-low range for REPEAT over pseudo-variable» thread.

—Marco