Re: [ferret_users] pyferret 7.6-python 2.6 installation problem

Hi Ryo san,

Thank you very much for the reply. My pyferret worked fine using your method.

Stay healthy,

Xiaoyu

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 9:29 PM Ryo Furue <furue@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Xiaoyu,

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 8:06 AM Xiaoyu Bai <xbai1@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I was updating my pyferret to 7.6 version and only found a pyferret 7.6-python 2.6 version (https://github.com/NOAA-PMEL/PyFerret/releases). I only have python 2.7. So I tried to see if python 2.7 works for this release (maybe I am too naive).

I may be wrong, but I guess you have this problem because you don't install PyFerret via conda.

If you use miniconda (see the official installation guide of PyFerret), you wouldn't have this problem, because conda installs the necessary version of python without affecting the existing python installation.

For example, I'm on macOS 10.15.6, and its /usr/bin/python is version 2.7 .  But, miniconda has installed python 3.7 within it and PyFerret uses this version.  This python, however, doesn't interfere with the OS's python.

Ryo

--
Xiaoyu