[ferret_users] Change in PyFerret development support

Hello PyFerret community,

I hope everyone is doing well in these challenging and strange times. We appreciate your continued use and support of the Ferret application. We are writing to announce a change in the PyFerret developer support at NOAA’s PMEL.

The first is that Karl Smith had announced his retirement to PMEL at the beginning of the year and his last day will be on June 30 2020. Karl has left an indelible mark on the development of PyFerret and his contributions to the PyFerret migration has set a new path for this application. We wish Karl well as he enjoys new adventures in retirement.

We would like to introduce Joshua Osborne for the PyFerret community. Joshua comes to PMEL from the University of Washington (UW) where he was on the Pandemics Team at the UW Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation. While at that position, he implemented supervised learning algorithms for the identification of environmental patterns in zoonotic disease outbreaks. Prior to that, he studied physics where he had the opportunity to work on research projects with topics from chaotic lasing to cosmic topology to beer foam.

 Please join us in welcoming Joshua and wishing Karl a happy retirement.

Ansley Manke will spend another two months with PMEL supporting the PyFerret community before she also takes the final step into retirement.

We look forward to working with you on the continuous improvement of the PyFerret application.

Yours,

Eugene Burger

Eugene F Burger
206.526.4586
Associate Director of IT, NOAA Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory
7600 Sand Point Way NE
Seattle WA 98115