Re: [ferret_users] trailing slash in symbol

Hi Marco,

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020 at 4:55 AM Marco van Hulten <Marco.Hulten@xxxxxx> wrote:

According to the manual [1], however, the syntax should contain an
equal sign, like

   define symbol ss = something

instead of

   define symbol ss something

Without the equal sign it works best, though, because you can use
quotation marks without them becoming part of the symbol.

I didn't know that!  As you say, DEFINE SYMBOL without the equal sign is easier to understand and use:

yes? define symbol ss = /abc/
yes? show symbol ss
SS = "/abc"
yes? define symbol ss = "/abc/"
yes? show symbol ss
SS = ""/abc/""
yes? define symbol ss /abc/
yes? show symbol ss
SS = "/abc"
yes? define symbol ss "/abc/"
yes? show symbol ss
SS = "/abc/"

I don't know if there are cases where the equal sign is useful or necessary.

Ryo

[1]: https://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/documentation/users-guide/commands-reference/DEFINE