[ferret_users] REPEAT leading to overlapping timestamps

Dear Ferret users,

This is to document a minor, known bug in Ferret and PyFerret, which seems to surface only very rarely.  It's already reported and confirmed. At present, it's not known when it will be fixed.  I also present a few workarounds we have found (Thanks to Ansley).

Suppose we have a Ferret script like this:
. . .
ppl dfltfnt TR
. . .
set view myview
. . .
repeat/L=1:3000 ( \
    . . . ; \
    fill . . . ; \
    . . .; \
    frame/file=image`L,zw=4`.png )

The timestamp on the image is eventually corrupted.  See the attached picture.  This happens only in some obscure situations.

1) One workaround is to reset the viewport at each iteration:

repeat . . . ( \
    . . .
    cancel view; set view myview )

2) (PyFerret) Another workaround is to use a different font

ppl dfltfnt TR ! → something else

3) A third is to stop the iteration before the corruption happens:

pyferret -nodisplay -script plot.jnl       1 1000 !! image Nos.1–1000
pyferret -nodisplay -script plot.jnl 1001 2000 !! image Nos.1001–2000
. . .
(Breaking up the loop within a single pyferret session doesn't seem to fix the problem. Hence the multiple sessions as above.)

Best regards,
Ryo

ferret-timestamp.png