Re: [ferret_users] Edges and @AVG

Hi all,

in the context of long time series, the word "time stamp" also was used differently:

Imagine you are living some time ago and are running a mechanically recording thermometer scratching a curve into wax paper. Every month you put in a new roll of that wax paper and put the previous one into the cubicle . To indentify it, you make a "time stamp" on it just marking the day when you took it out. So in some data sets the time stamp marks the end of a measuring period.

People producing data, especially time series, are often living in a scientific environment with different conventions like those using the data. But all are using the same words and are not aware of possible sources of misunderstanding. Even in times of netcdf with many meta data attached to the data, the very meaning of the numbers may be unclear and can be even lost over time. So it is very important, to have some communication between these different worlds.

I remember that the data set in question her is related to era-5. So its worth to read the  era-5 description in the COPERNICUS portal.

https://climate.copernicus.eu/climate-reanalysis

A mirror is here:

https://rda.ucar.edu/#!lfd?nb=y&b=proj&v=ECWMF%20ERA5%20Reanalysis

If this does not answer the question, it's definitely worth to ask there for support. I did this some time ago for a similar problem with ncep and got friendly and helpful answers.

Greetings,

Martin