Re: [ferret_users] fixed scaling factor by default

Karl—

On 18 Dec 10:14 Karl Smith - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
> The /SCALE=... option to SET WINDOW will allow you to set the value in
> Image -> Scale through the ferret command line.
> And I see that option is not described in the Ferret manual; my apologies.
>
> -- If the value is a positive number, the image is scaled with that factor,
> the window is resized as best possible to fit that image size and display
> size, and automatic rescaling of the image to fit the window size (by the
> user interacting with the window frame) is turned off.
>
> -- If the value is negative, the image is scaled with that factor, the
> window is resized as best possible to fit that image size, and automatic
> rescaling of the image to fit the window size is turned on (which may
> revise the scaling factor to fit the window on the display and may revise
> the window size - aspect ratio - to fit the image aspect ratio).
>
> -- If the value is zero, the current window scaling factor is used but
> automatic rescaling of the image to fit the window size is turned
> on  (which, again, may revise the scaling factor to fit the window on the
> display and may revise the window size - aspect ratio - to fit the image
> aspect ratio).

Thank you, this helps a lot.  It would indeed be useful to add it to the
documentation.

I needed the /SCALE option for forcing the image size to fit my
window.  Otherwise the image would be scaled slightly too large.  The
window resizing is ignored by tiling window managers; it's effectively
an inconsequential side-effect of the /SCALE option.  These are
somewhat curious things, but things are working for me with
/SCALE=-0.834, which is the size the image needs to be scaled to when I
use half of the screen height for Ferret windows (typical in horizontal
layout).  The minus sign is useful as I do sometimes change to a
fullscreen layout; and going back to the horizontal layout works out
properly; the issue of a wrong image/window size mismatch occured only
for the initial plot in the window.  All this may relate to an
underlying bug causing also flickering issue mentioned earlier this
year.

All that information is for later reference.  With this sentence, I'll
make it also searchable for tiling window manager users like spectrwm,
i3wm and xmonad.  Yet again, tiling windows and Ferret are an ideal
combination (first only with classic Ferret, and now also PyFerret).

—Marco