Re: [ferret_users] An slightly annoying behaviour of the aggregate command

Hi Olivier,

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 5:37 PM Olivier Marti <olivier.marti@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

If I have in a plot.jnl script a line like this :

USE my_file.nc

I can run several times "GO plot". The first time the file will be load by the USE command. The following times, the command USE is ignored, because the file is already known. It's very convenient to slowly improve a script.

But if I use :
 DEFINE DATA/AGGREGATE/U my_data =   file1.nc, file2.nc

It works well the first time, but the second time I got :
 **ERROR: invalid command: dataset name already in use: my_data

I guess it's a feature rather than a bug. But it might be a little annoying when developing a script.

I think I had a similar conversation with Ansley some time ago and I think she agreed that it would be a better behavior if a second aggregate definition of the same name would override the previous definition, just like LET .  So, I guess the change is in the internal to-do list.

Cheers,
Ryo