Re: [ferret_users] rainbow.spk as a default color

I'd just take half the colors out - or something along those lines.  Some other software apparently like having many levels, but as long as you keep the character of the map and pay attention to preserving any big change in color, for example a centered palette, it'll work just fine.

In general it's easy to make your own color palette, so that's something to keep in mind.

https://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/documentation/users-guide/customizing-plots/COLOR#_VPID_247

On 8/29/2019 11:20 PM, Fiedler, Russell (O&A, Hobart) wrote:

Hmmm, there's a problem with the batlow.spk file. It has 256 levels but the limit in Ferret is 250 levels.

Russ

From: owner-ferret_users@xxxxxxxx <owner-ferret_users@xxxxxxxx> on behalf of Fiedler, Russell (O&A, Hobart) <Russell.Fiedler@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, 30 August 2019 2:45:50 PM
To: ferret_users <ferret_users@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ExternalEmail] Re: [ferret_users] rainbow.spk as a default color

Hi,

In fact palettes like rainbow.spk are generally considered to be extremely poor for scientific purposes for a number of reasons including the generation of artifacts. For a starter on the subject I would encourage people to go Fabio Crameri's site.  http://www.fabiocrameri.ch/colourmaps.php

It appears that Patrick Brockman has created Ferret versions of the palettes there. If you download the colourmap file and " ls */*/*spk" youwill see entries like

ScientificColourMaps5/batlow/batlow.spk

This map in particular is a perceptually uniform rainbow palette and could well be a candidate for a new default.

Ansley, I think it would be well worth it to get these palettes into the distribution (with Patrick's and Fabio's permission, of course).

Cheers,

Russ