[ferret_users] precision problem on a difference between a same variable read from 2 files with the same structure

Hi ferreters,

I encountered a problem when I compare a variable
read from 2 different files with exactly the same structure (same axis in particular).

The difference calculated with ferret has the following range:
   Minimum value: -2.1516798E-11
   Maximum value: 2.15167981E-11
but the difference calculated with ncdiff has  the following range:
   Minimum value: -2.79521E-20
   Maximum value: 2.87991E-20

--> I was expecting the same order of magnitude with ferret than with ncdiff.

More strange, if I change the name of a coordinate axis of one of the input file
then the difference calculated with ferret and ncdiff have the same order
of magnitude.

--> I suspect that the variable read from the 2nd file uses a downward axis
set from the read of the 1st file.

Attached the minimized problem with 3 small nc files and 2 test scripts.

Please try:
$ ferret -script test1.jnl
$ ferret -script test2.jnl

Tested with ferret 7.44 and 7.50
Any help welcome.

Regards
Patrick

--
Data Analysis and Visualization Engineer / Project Manager
LSCE/IPSL, CEA-CNRS-UVSQ laboratory