Re: [ferret_users] zaxreplace - convert z-axis of density to the z-axis of `m`

Hi Saurabh,

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 9:12 PM saurabh rathore <rohitsrb2020@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

now I want to map it back to the `m` axis of depth which is define by `ohc.nc` so how I should do it ? or Do I map it first to `m` axis and after that I compute the slope ?

When you convert a variable F from the z axis to the ρ axis, you do this:

F_ρ = zaxreplace(F, ρ, denaxis)   . . . . . (1)

The field ρ(x, y, z, t) is the value of density at (x, y, z, t).

Likewise, when you convert a variable G from the ρ axis to the z axis, you do this:

G_z = zaxreplace(G, zed_ρ, zedaxis)

That means that you need the variable "zed_ρ". The field zed_ρ(x, y, ρ, t) is the value of z at (x, y, ρ, t).  That is, it's the depth of the isopycnal ρ at (x, y, t).

This zed_ρ can be obtained similarly to (1):

zed_ρ = zaxreplace(zed, ρ, denaxis)

where zed is the "4D distribution of z":

zed = z[gz=F] + 0*F

This "variable" is rather stupid: its value is the depth of each gridpoint (x, y, z, t).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Ryo