[ferret_users] installing ferret on OSX, 2019 experience

Howdy Folks,

I just succeeded in installing ferret 7.442 on a new Macbook running OS X 10.14.4, and I have some experiences to report.

(1) Sure I wanted to try out pyferret. My experience with this install was not good, however. There are confusing circular references all throughout the website, no possibility of precompiled binaries, and anaconda is astonishingly complex. It looks like a whole duplicate set of unix packages, like another MacPorts/Homebrew system. I eventually got miniconda installed, but could not convince it to download, compile, install, or run ferret. Happy to rm -rf that whole mess.

(2) I was able to compile from source by cloning the git repo following https://github.com/NOAA-PMEL/Ferret/blob/master/README_ferret_mac_homebrew.md and making appropriate changes to platform_specific.mk.intel-mac and and site_specific.mk. Yay for the good old days. My main challenge is that I use MacPorts, not Homebrew, for the netCDF, readline, szip, etc. libraries. I could not get MacPorts to install static libraries in many cases (this apparently needs to be specifically added by package developer). Here's what I had to do:

- copy /opt/local/bin/gfortran-mp-8 to /opt/local/bin/gfortran. Could not convince the Make system to use a different FC. This ought to be fixed.

- needed to install not just the MacPorts netcdf package, but also netcdf-fortran.

 - all LIBDIR variables in site_specific.mk are set to /opt/local/lib

- the references to .a static libraries in platform_specific.mk.intel-mac had to be changed to .dylib:

else ifeq ($(strip $(SZ_LIBDIR)),)
#       CDFLIB          = $(NETCDF_LIBDIR)/libnetcdff.a \
#                         $(NETCDF_LIBDIR)/libnetcdf.a \
#                         $(HDF5_LIBDIR)/libhdf5_hl.a \
#                         $(HDF5_LIBDIR)/libhdf5.a
        CDFLIB          = $(NETCDF_LIBDIR)/libnetcdff.dylib \
                          $(NETCDF_LIBDIR)/libnetcdf.dylib \
                          $(HDF5_LIBDIR)/libhdf5_hl.dylib \
                          $(HDF5_LIBDIR)/libhdf5.dylib
else
#       CDFLIB          = $(NETCDF_LIBDIR)/libnetcdff.a \
#                         $(NETCDF_LIBDIR)/libnetcdf.a \
#                         $(HDF5_LIBDIR)/libhdf5_hl.a \
#                         $(HDF5_LIBDIR)/libhdf5.a \
#                         $(SZ_LIBDIR)/libsz.a
        CDFLIB          = $(NETCDF_LIBDIR)/libnetcdff.dylib \
                          $(NETCDF_LIBDIR)/libnetcdf.dylib \
                          $(HDF5_LIBDIR)/libhdf5_hl.dylib \
                          $(HDF5_LIBDIR)/libhdf5.dylib \
                          $(SZ_LIBDIR)/libsz.dylib

Sorry if this is a knock on pyferret, but my summary is that the install system is not ready for prime time.

--
Andy Jacobson
andy.jacobson@xxxxxxxx

NOAA Earth System Research Lab