Re: [ferret_users] Cosmetic T axis tic modification

Hi,

I have a couple of ideas. Once you've opened a dataset you can use a "DEFINE AXIS" command to redefine the axis in any way you wish.   This will store your new axis definition within the Ferret session as if that were the axis definition in the file - but it doesn't change the file.  For example, this would change the definition of the time axis for variable "var" to one that just runs 1 through n, whatever the size of the axis is.

yes? define axis/t=1:`var,return=lsize`:1/unit=month `var,return=taxis`

However, it sounds to me as if the axis in the dataset doesn't have calendar time attributes.  Are the months 428, 429 etc actually referring to months since some time origin?  If so then plots would be correctly labeled as time axis with month names, and you could do calculations such as regridding to other time axes.  If this is the case then you can just enhance the definition with a SET AXIS command.  If the axis should have been time in months since 1-jan-2015, then have a look at what happens when you do this:

yes? use mydata.nc
yes? set axis/t0=1-jan-2015/units=months  `var,return=taxis`
yes? plot var

"Month" is a bit of a fuzzy concept.  In this treatment