From: owner-ferret_users@xxxxxxxx <owner-ferret_users@xxxxxxxx> on behalf of JoshAB1995@xxxxxxxxxxx <JoshAB1995@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 8:45:42 AM
To: ferret_users@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [ferret_users] Data within a mask

Hello again,

I’m trying to explore SST within a region for which I’ve created a mask. I’ve saved the mask as a separate file and merged it into a dataset with SST for a large region in order to be able to use both datasets in the creation of a new mask.

The new mask I have been trying to create will contain the data from the SST dataset but only within the small region I’ve selected. It might be worth knowing that I created the ‘region mask’ using two temperature datasets to find a temp difference and separated regions based on their temp difference and voila I have the region mask for an area of X temp difference.

So I tried using this code to create the new mask:

yes? let Region_SST = if etw[l=@ave] ne IS then 1000 else etw[l=@ave]

yes? set var/bad = 1000 Region_SST

yes? shade Region_SST

The issue with the result of this is that it cuts out the region I’m interested in rather than everything else (I would like to remove the rest of the area and look solely at my original mask region).

So, I tried a couple of alternative syntax (see below) as it made sense that they may then cut the rest of the region and leave only my region of interest but instead it just leaves the map as it is in the original SST dataset...

yes? let Region_SST = if etw[l=@ave] eq IS then 1000 else etw[l=@ave]

yes? set var/bad = 1000 Region_SST

yes? shade Region_SST

Then tried something else, not really knowing why... Didn’t work again.

yes? let Region_SST = if IS ne etw[l=@ave] then 1000 else IS

yes? set var/bad = 1000 Region_SST

yes? shade Region_SST

I hope that this makes sense, it’s really baffling me. Any help/clarification as to why this is happening would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Josh

Sent from Mail for Windows 10