[ferret_users] opendap access with ferret

Dear ferreters,
opendap access with ferret linked with a recent netcdf library does not work any more, if the remote thredds-server is password protected. The syntax is to include a user name and the password in the use statement.

use "https://user:password@hostname/etc.....";

This worked well with ferret linked with netcdf-4.4.4.1 but not with 4.6.2. The same can be verified with ncdump.

The error message throws a lot a strange information (syntax errors, fonts etc.) and finally that authentication failed. Searching the web reveals a lengthy discussion on the netcdf-website that the login - information solely has to be delivered by two files .dodrc and .netrc. However, I cannot find this in the netcdf manual and have a running example with an old netcdf-library that it worked differently.

So my question is, does anybody know, how to deal with those errors? Or is the method really obsolete, to include the login data in the URL information?
Best,
Martin