Re: [ferret_users] how to make bold labels and title and desires fonts of axes tics e.g. @SR

Hi,

Classic-Ferret doesn't really have the flexibility to make bold labels. The kinds of things you are trying are about all it can do.  There's an FAQ that may be of some use, which shows how to edit the metafiles and/or the postscript that's created when a Ferret metafile is converted to postscript and make lines thicker.  Because text in Ferret is simply plot-lines drawn to form the letters, these techniques do work with anything drawn as a line. This is tedious, but can be a way to make a final image.

In PyFerret the text is drawn with true fonts and there are commands to customize the text style. As long as the chosen font has a bold style, you get bold text just by issuing a single command "SET TEXT/BOLD":

yes? set text/font=verdana  ! for example
yes? [plot commands]
yes? set text/bold
yes? [labels that will be bold]

By the way the LABEL command works fine, however I'd also encourage you to look at the ANNOTATE command.  The /NORMAL option lets you align labels as fractions of the plot box, so your commands would look something like this

yes? annotate/normal/xpos=0.5/ypos=1.1/halign=0/size=0.16 "CTD Observed Temperature leg-1"]
yes? annotate/normal/xpos=0.9/ypos=0.5/halign=0/angle=90/size=0.16 "Depth (db)"

where of course I'm just making up numbers for the locations.  ANNOTATE is available in Ferret and in PyFerret.

Ansley