Re: [ferret_users] PyFerret on Mac : still some problems :-(

Hi Olivier,

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 6:06 PM Olivier Marti <olivier.marti@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mac, PyFerret seems enable to use an other window than window 1. SET WINDOW/NEW or SET WINDOW 2 crash :

SET WINDOW/NEW
objc[77534]: +[__NSPlaceholderDate initialize] may have been in progress in another thread when fork() was called.
objc[77534]: +[__NSPlaceholderDate initialize] may have been in progress in another thread when fork() was called. We cannot safely call it or ignore it in the fork() child process. Crashing instead. Set a breakpoint on objc_initializeAfterForkError to debug.

Tested with PyFerret 7.4 on Mac OS X Sierra, with python 3.7 and PyQt from HomeBrew

I summarized two methods of installation in this thread:

https://www.pmel.noaa.gov/maillists/tmap/ferret_users/fu_2017/msg01001.html

One of them shows the problem you see, but the other doesn't.

Specifically, on one of my Mac computers, I used the first method: you install the binary PyFerret package (.tar.gz).  That gives the same error as yours.

On the other Mac computer of mine, I switched to the second method: you install miniconda and install PyFerret through conda.  "Set window/new" works on this one.

Hope this helps,
Ryo