[ferret_users] redefining dimension values of variables on an irregular grid

Hello all,

I've been given some model data. The grid on which the ocean model exists is irregular, with a displaced north pole. The grid is 100 units in x and 122 units in y.

All variables exist on this grid type. However, the dimensions of each variable are not in degrees of longitude or latitude. Rather, they are in units of grid cells (i.e. 1 --> 100, and 1 --> 122).

What I want to do is take each variable and redefine their latitude and longitude dimensions so that they are now in degrees, not grid cell number. The ocean model provides this information in separate variables called TLONG and TLAT:
  • TLONG(100,122) = array of t-grid longitudes (degrees east)
  • TLAT(100,122) = array of t-grid latitudes (degrees north)
So I am struggling with how to take the values held in the variables TLONG and TLAT and set them as the dimension values for other ocean variables, say TEMP and SALT.

There must be a simply way of doing this so I thought I'd ask.

Cheers
Pearse