[ferret_users] pyferret on macOS: successful installation

Ferret-Mac users,

I've just installed pyferret on my macOS High Sierra machine and it's working. So, I briefly describe the steps I took.

0.1) Install homebrew.

0.2) Install python via homebrew. (I didn't manually do it but a lot of homebrew packages depend on python, so a few versions of python had already been installed.)

1) Install the packages "numpy" and "pyqt" via homebrew.

2) Determine the version of the standard python homebrew installed:
$ /usr/local/bin/python --version
Mine is python 2.7 .  There are two versions of PyFerret binary, one is compiled for python 2.7 and the other for python 3.7 .  If your python version isn't neither 2.7 nor 3.7, perhaps you want to install one or the other.  Non-default versions will be installed as /usr/local/bin/python3.7 for example.

3) Install pyferret exactly as described in the official guide https://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/downloads/ferret-installation-and-update-guide . (I just poured the contents of the .tar.gz file under /usr/local/pyferret-7.4.2-Python-2.7/ and set paths using Finstall .) The install script will ask you which python executable it should use. Use the version determined above.

That's all.

Each time I invoke pyferret, I get this message

2018-08-05 20:48:39.881 Python[7726:505144] Metal pipeline state creation failed with error: Error Domain=MTLLibraryErrorDomain Code=3 "Compiler encountered an internal error" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Compiler encountered an internal error}

but I don't know what impacts it has.

Hope this is helpful to Mac users.

Cheers,

Ryo