[ferret_users] Parsing errors particularly with semicolons on edison.nersc.gov

Hello,

I am running into issues with Ferret not properly parsing text on the machine edison.nersc.gov, which is a Cray computer run by NERSC. They have asked that I contact the Ferret user group for help because they do not readily support Ferret (although they did the install so I do not know if they compiled from scratch or used a pre-built version).

Specifically, I am running into issues with Ferret’s command line interpreter not parsing text properly. I will give it a line of text, but some of the characters get ignored and sometimes others get repeated. This garbles how scripting is handled and makes it very difficult to use Ferret for any serious work. I find this problem comes up particularly when using a ";" (both within repeat loops and on stand-alone lines). Other characters also trigger the issue. I have never seen this behavior on any machine besides edison, so there is something specific to this installation that is broken. Anybody else seen this sort of behavior and have suggestions on how to fix it?

Here is a command that succinctly reproduces the problem. On edison, start ferret and then type
repeat/name=nn/range=1:3 (say `nn`; set reg/l=`nn`)

The output on any other machine is:

yes? repeat/name=nn/range=1:3 (say `nn`; set reg/l=`nn`)
!-> REPEAT: NN:1
!-> MESSAGE/CONTINUE 1
1
!-> set reg/l=1
!-> REPEAT: NN:2
!-> MESSAGE/CONTINUE 2
2
!-> set reg/l=2
!-> REPEAT: NN:3
!-> MESSAGE/CONTINUE 3
3
!-> set reg/l=3

However, on edison, I get:

yes? repeat/name=nn/range=1:3 (say `nn`; set reg/l=`nn`)
!-> REPEAT: NN:1
!-> MESSAGE/CONTINUE 1
1
!-> yes? repeat/name=nn/range=1:3 (say `nn`; set reg/l=`nn`)
!-> REPEAT: NN:1
!-> MESSAGE/CONTINUE 1
1
!-> set reeg/l=1
**ERROR: invalid subcommand: reeg/l=1
set reeg/l=1
Command file, command group, or REPEAT execution aborted
**ERROR: invalid subcommand: reeg/l=1
set reeg/l=1
Command file, command group, or REPEAT execution aborted

Notice that when Ferret shows what it is executing (the lines starting with "!->" the line that should be "set reg/l=1" gets garbled to "set reeg/l=1".

Thanks,
Bill

William I. Gustafson Jr., Ph.D.

Scientist

ATMOSPHERIC SCIENCES AND GLOBAL CHANGE DIVISION

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

P.O. Box 999, MSIN K9-30

Richland, WA  99352

Tel: 509-372-6110