From: Ansley C. Manke [ansley.b.manke@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: 07 May 2018 13:16
To: ferret_users@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ferret_users] putting 1D variable into 2D (lat,depth) for using in objective analysis

Hi Pearse,

Replying to the list as well -- Pearse and I looked at this a bit.  The error message is

Bailing out of external function "scat2gridgauss_yz":
        No data in scattered y, z points.  F() data values must be defined on Y or Z axis.
 **ERROR: error in external function

http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/documentation/users-guide/variables-xpressions/XPRESSIONS#_SCAT2GRIDGAUSS_YZ

The arguments to the function are SCAT2GRIDGAUSS_YZ(YPTS, ZPTS, F, YAXPTS, ZAXPTS, ...)   where ypts and zpts are simple lists of points, on any axis.  The third argument, F, can also depend on other dimensions.  This would allow for you to have a set of locations ypts, zpts, and F as a measurement at a set of times and/or a set of longitudes.  This means that for the third argument, the scattered-data direction must lie along a y or z axis. The function then keeps any dependence on an X, T, E, or F axis, and finds the "scattered" data along a Y or Z direction. In the documentation,

F-data: 3rd component of scattered input triples. This is the variable we are putting onto the grid. It must have the scattered-data direction along a Y or Z axis. May be function of X or time.

For this case, all you need to do is recast the data for the 3rd argument onto a Y or Z axis,
yes? define axis/y=-65:25:1/units=degrees yax
yes? define axis/z=0:6000:50/units=meters/depth zax
yes? let xscale = 0.5
yes? let yscale = 25
yes? let cutoff = 3

yes? let no3_ind_on_y = YSEQUENCE(no3_ind)

yes? let no3int_ind = scat2gridgauss_yz(lat_ind, dep_ind, no3_ind_on_y, y[gy=yax], z[gz=zax], xscale, yscale, cutoff, 0)
yes? shade no3int_ind
-Ansley