Re: [ferret_users] appending ensemble slabs

Hi Ryo,

Yes. When we implemented 6-D Ferret we didn't want to make the names E, F, M, and N into reserved pseudo-variable names, akin to X,Y, I, J, etc. Existing scripts use some of those as variable names, and we didn't want to have "LET n = ..." suddenly become an invalid command.  So the pseudo-variables in the E and F directions are therefore _E, _F, _M, and _N.  And for symmetry, you can also use an underscore before any of the other direction variables, _X or _K.

Here's the whole scoop on pseudo-variable names: http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/documentation/users-guide/variables-xpressions/VARIABLES#_VPINDEXENTRY_255

Ansley