Re: [ferret_users] appending ensemble slabs

Thank you, Russ.

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 9:52 AM, Russ Fiedler <russell.fiedler@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Why don't you load the files in as an ensemble directly rather than individually? There's no real need to merge the files but the following should work.
[ . . . ]
let myfiles = spawn("ls -1 tmp?.nc")
ensemble tmp_all = myfiles

Thank you for the example.  Your code, of course, does work.  I didn't know this is the standard way to define an ensemble.

But, in fact, I'm looking for a way to load ascii data files. So,

    ensemble tmp_all = {"data01.nc", "data02.nc", . . . }

isn't the case for me.  Because I didn't know the ENSEMBLE command, I thought using a set of netCDF files would simplify my example.

So, how does the method of appending slabs in the Ferret manual work in the ensemble dimension?

As an workaround, I currently use the L dimension (time) as a fake ensemble dimension, because my original data doesn't include a time dimension.  It's easy to add slabs in the L dimension.  (A new workaround I've just learned is to convert all my ascii files to netCDF and then combine them as an ensemble.)

By the way, when I looked at the netCDF files generated with Russ's method, I found that the ensemble dimension isn't open. I thought it would be always better to open the last dimension, so that you can easily extend the data at least in that dimension.

Cheers,
Ryo