RE: [ferret_users] convert .kml file to netcdf file

Dear Anurag,

I think, a netcdf file is conceptually meant to contain a different type of data and shape or kml files.
The later are much more about vectors then netcdf. Now, you can save the points of your boundary on a grid in the netcdf file, or just the points of the boundary.
If you want to do this in ferret, then it is probably easiest, if you can create a mask for your region of interest. You should be able to do this by exporting the shape from a GIS as text file and read the text file into ferret.
Else, you can export the plot from ferret as a text file and read into a GIS and then overlay your shape.

I know very little about GIS, so this is just a thought.

Best wishes,

Jörg

Jörg Kaduk
Associate Professor for Environmental Modelling
Centre for Landscape and Climate Research
Leicester Institute for Space and Earth Observation
School of Geography, Geology and the Environment
Plagiarism Officer of the School of Geography, Geology and the Environment
w: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/geography/people/jkaduk
@jkaduk
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4051-3081
e: jk61@xxxxxxxx
t: +44 (0)116 252 3848
School of Geography, Geology and the Environment, University of Leicester, University Road, Leicester LE1 7RH, UK

           Elite Without Being Elitist
Follow us on Twitter or visit our Facebook page and the Departmental Twitter and Facebook page