Re: [ferret_users] Overlapping shape file. on my lat long grid.

Dear Anurag,

sorry, I can't help with explicit commands. THey do depend on your grid.

However, to explain a bit more - ferret will read text files and it writes nc files. So ferret is a convenient way to create nc files.

Have a look in the ferret manual under masking to get an idea what I mean by a mask and how to apply it. Essentially, it is a map with 1s in your area of interest and 0s elsewhere. It allows you to cut to a shape in ferret.

The problem is to define the mask, if you have irregular shapes that cannot be described by a function.

Hence use the shapefile in a GIS - that is easy, but again I do not use GIS. You need to read the manual or do a google. It should be relatively straightforward to open s shp in a GIS and set up a variable using this.... Then export a text file from the GIS on your grid and read into ferret. THis is a bit trial and error until one gets it right.

You can ask more specific questions on the list, but seeing nobody has answered so far -maybe there is no easy way. I think, somebody else will reply if there is a better way.

Best wishes,

Joerg