[ferret_users] data size estimation is not unique

Hi,
reading ascii data, I encountered the following problem. The estimated length of an input field depends on the history of operations.

My data file test.data looks like this

header
1,   1
2,   2
3,   3

The script to read the data and to estimate the length of the field is

set data/ez/skip=1/var=t1,t2/format=delim/type=numeric  test.data
let imax=`t1,return=iend`
list imax

ferret
        NOAA/PMEL TMAP
        PyFerret v7.22 (optimized)
        Linux 4.4.87-25-default - 10/05/17
        24-Oct-17 17:12

CAN MODE LOGO
SET MEM /SIZE=25.6
SET MODE VERIFY
yes? set data/ez/skip=1/var=t1,t2/format=delim/type=numeric test.data
yes? let imax=`t1,return=iend`
 !-> DEFINE VARIABLE imax=4
yes? list imax
             VARIABLE : 4
          4.000
yes?
I would say, the result for imax is wrong.

Modifying the script, just by  adding a 'list' command gives the correct (or a more likely) result:
yes? set data/ez/skip=1/var=t1,t2/format=delim/type=numeric test.data
yes? list t1
             VARIABLE : t1
             FILENAME : test.data
             SUBSET   : 3 points (X)
 1   / 1:  1.000
 2   / 2:  2.000
 3   / 3:  3.000
yes? let imax=`t1,return=iend`
 !-> DEFINE VARIABLE imax=3
yes? list imax
             VARIABLE : 3
          3.000
yes?

This dependence of the variable size estimate on the history of operations seems to be inherited over generations of ferret. I have very old scripts, where some 'list' or 'shade' was added to get them running.

May be, the report helps.

Best,
Martin

--
Dr. Martin Schmidt
Leibniz-Institute for Baltic Sea Research