Re: [ferret_users] pager

Hi Ryo,

On 14 Jun 11:51 Ryo Furue wrote:
> Hi Marco and Ansley,
>
> > Ferret is issuing a system "more -d" command to list out the
> > contents of the script, so that is overriding any setting you've
> > made outside of Ferret.  We would have to add an option for other
> > settings to be used.
> In the meanwhile, we can "trick" the system command to use "less" in
> place of "more".
>
> The following discussion can depend on what "system" command Ferret
> uses, what OS you use, what shell you use, etc.  So, please regard it
> as a basic idea of which the implementation depend on various things.
>
> The idea is to give "less" the name "more". You can do it by a
> symbolic link or alias:
>
> 1) Use a symbolic link.  For example,
>
>      $ cd /usr/local/bin
>      $ sudo ln -s /usr/bin/less more
>
> 2) Use an alias such as "alias more=less".
>
> [...]

Yes, that will work.  I hoped for something more clean, though.

> I haven't figured out details, such as how to create a per-user (as
> opposed to system-wide) setting to achieve this. Should be doable,
> though.

Aliases (2) are usually set up per user.
For (1) one can put a symlink more that points to /usr/bin/less in
~/bin/, and add ~/bin to your PATH.

The problem is that your system gets less predictable: if you type
`more` you get `less` (no pun intended).

 - Marco