Re: [ferret_users] pager

Hi Marco and Ansley,

Ferret is issuing a system "more -d" command to list out the contents of the script, so that is overriding any setting you've made outside of Ferret.  We would have to add an option for other settings to be used.

In the meanwhile, we can "trick" the system command to use "less" in place of "more".

The following discussion can depend on what "system" command Ferret uses, what OS you use, what shell you use, etc.  So, please regard it as a basic idea of which the implementation depend on various things.

The idea is to give "less" the name "more". You can do it by a symbolic link or alias:

1) Use a symbolic link.  For example,

     $ cd /usr/local/bin
     $ sudo ln -s /usr/bin/less more

2) Use an alias such as "alias more=less".

On my system (macOS Sierra), for example, the basic system command passes its argument to /bin/sh, which is a link to bash.  That means you can use an alias.  If /bin/sh is a bare-Bourne shell (pun intended), aliases won't work.

I haven't figured out details, such as how to create a per-user (as opposed to system-wide) setting to achieve this. Should be doable, though.

Cheers,

Ryo