Re: [ferret_users] ferret map projection help

Hi,

Please see this FAQ: http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/faq/polar-stereographic-plots, and and also run the demo script

yes? go mp_stereo_demo.jnl

You could make your own copy of this demo script, change the definitions of variables xmin,xmax,ymin,ymax, xdel,ydel at the top of the script, change the call from mp_stereographic_north to mp_stereographic_south. Take out the commands that show things like marking some points on the map and making extra labels, and take out the SHAKEY command, to leave the color key in the standard location.

To make labels on a plot, you will do what is shown in mp_stereo_demo, calling the "mp_label" command to put labels around the circle. (The Ferret "go/help mp_label" shows what that script is doing.)

   let mid_lon = 180
   REPEAT/K=20:360:20 (GO mp_label `k` -48 0 `mid_lon - k` 0.12 "@CR`k`")

Or in PyFerret,

   let mid_lon = 180
   set text/font=serif  ! or any font
   REPEAT/K=20:360:20 (GO mp_label `k` -48 0 `mid_lon - k` 0.12 "`k`")

More suggestions:

* Add the /NOAXES qualifier on your FILL command.

* The mp_graticule command has arguments to control where the lines are drawn, so perhaps say
go mp_graticule  0 360 20 -80 -50 10

* Look at the location of your main label. You probably will want to put it above or below the plot. You could use the ANNOTATE command, for instance,
   annotate/norm/halign=0/xpos=0.5/ypos=-0.1 main label"