Re: [ferret_users] Ferret and debian/ubuntu packages

Hi,

Thanks to Marco for pointing me to this thread.

I'm the Debian maintainer and packager of ferret for Debian/Ubuntu.

The current version in Debian stable is v6.92; the latest version in Debian (unstable/ testing) is 7.0 ; this is also
the version in Ubuntu.

Also pyferret 7.0 is present in Debian unstable/testing and Ubuntu.

Debian is currently frozen and release is expected 'any day now'; after this I plan to keep ferret updated via "backports" (which for various reasons' didn't happen in Jessie)

As well as making it available for end-users, I'm working on its integration with other Met and geo software, and the larger python stack.
There are a number of patches I have yet to forward upstream: in particular support for Python3  (both python2 and python3 versions
of pyferret are in Debian).

Ferret in Debian (labelled ferret-vis, as it conflicts with "GNU Ferret") uses a separate version of xgks (2.6.1),
as there are multiple packages using xgks in Debian and we ship common code as shared libs. This version has some (irrelevant to ferret?)
fixes and additions (a PDF backed, IIRC). Similarly I'm testing patches to work with multiple netcdf / hdf libraries so we can
do both compression (for SZIP netcdf4, pnetcdf, and parallel netcdf).

To make the package standalone, I have a patch to use default values of the Env. variables that Ferret typically requires to be set.

Please don't hestitate to contact me with any comments / bugs/ questions.

Best regards
Alastair McKinstry