Re: [ferret_users] STOP var prot err --> UVAR

Hi Nancy,

I don't think Ned's suggestion is directly related to what you're seeing.  The "STOP var prot err"  error is a "we should never get here" kind of message. It's in code which is handling information about the memory allocated for variables and releasing memory it when you do things like make new definitions, or cancel variables, and so on.  If some information has become corrupted, then making a change to how the code operates can make a difference - as you already were seeing - but there's nothing related to your error messages and saving gif images.

We'll be releasing an update this summer which changes some of the memory management within Ferret.  That may have more of an effect.

-Ansley