Re: [ferret_users] problem with X-Windows

Jorg,

One possibility is PyFerret which uses Python graphics libraries and not X.

Other than that I don't really have much to suggest. The issue you report with

> ferret -batch gifname.gif

does not have to do with Xwindows.  That is a separate path through the code which just writes graphics output to the file, and does not use the  X library at all. So I am mystified about what's happening there. Try some very simple script without any FRAME command.  Something like

> ferret -batch test.gif

   yes? go basemap
   yes? exit

Does that produce a plot?  If your script draws the plot and then perhaps does something that's triggering a new plot to be started, you could be left with a blank plot as this method saves only the last plot drawn to the gif file.

-Ansley