Re: [ferret_users] placing the attribute name (a string) into a file's name

Hi Paul,
Here's a syntax for naming your file:

yes? let station = ..station_name
yes? let filename = "`station`.dat"
 !-> DEFINE VARIABLE filename = "Acapulco.dat"

Or just,

yes? list/file="`station`.dat" ...

We don't have all the flexibility in writing string variables to ascii text files that one might want. But because you want to write the same string to all the records in this LIST command, we can set it up using the LIST/FORMAT= , doing something like this

yes? list/file=`filename`/format=(F8.4, " `station`")
 !-> list/file=Acapulco.dat/format=(f8.4, " Acapulco") ssh

and the file will have

 1.1234 Acapulco
 1.2345 Acapulco
 1.3456 Acapulco
 1.4444 Acapulco

Another option would be to use /precision= instead of /format= . This will be needed if station is a string variable that's changing along with the numeric variables you're writing; but gives less control over the exact format.

   list/file=`filename`/norow/precision=6 ssh, station

which gives you,

  1.12340 "Acapulco"
  1.23450 "Acapulco"
  1.34560 "Acapulco"