Re: [ferret_users] vertical weighted averagng

Hi Robert,

>With temp[x=@ave,y=@ave], Ferret does compute the area weighted average if the horizontal axes are longitude
>and latitude.

So in my example the problem is that x and y axis aren't longitude and latitude. Fortunately there are data with names ULONG and ULAT which are lat and log. So the problem is how to tell ferret that x ais should be ULONG and y axis ULAT and then use @AVE to compute weighted average,

One idea is to use "DEFINE AXIS/FROM_DATA" and "@ASN".  See the Ferret manual.  Here is a sketch (off the top of my head) of how to do it:

define axis/from_data/units . . . mylon = ulong
define axis/from_data/units . . . mylat  = ulat
let var_on_new_coordinates = var[gx=mylon@ASN, gy=mylat@ASN]

(untested). I've assumed your variable is defined exactly at (ulong, ulat) without any need for interpolation.

Regards,

Ryo