Re: [ferret_users] Help with contour labels

Thanks very much Sir William. It helped. I just removed the decimal point and everything looks fine.

Regards,
Kwesi

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 5:29 PM, William Kessler <william.s.kessler@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Kwesi -

The underlying contour routine used in Ferret uses an algorithm to space the contour labels, and to keep them from overwriting each other when contours are close. If you think about it, this is not an easy problem to code up. In general, tightly packed contours will have fewer labels.

There is some control of this through the qualifiers to the CONTOUR command (SPACING), and through the extra command PPL CONSET. In my experience tweaking the label spacing requires experimentation; you may find little change as you adjust these arguments until suddenly you have too many labels.

Reducing the size of the labels will result in more being drawn (CONTOUR/SIZE=).

Also check the very important LEVELS qualifier to CONTOUR, FILL or SHADE. One thing I see immediately is that you should omit the decimal point and trailing zero on your labels. These take up valuable attention without giving information. Do this through the LEVELS qualifier (section 6.8.1.1 of the document). This is a long section but gives you a lot of control of your labels. You can set the number of digits through the value of NDIGITS: /LEVELS=(lo,hi,delta,ndigits); a value ndigits=positive_integer specifies the number of decimal digits, -1 gives an integer (what you want here), -3 suppresses the label.

See the documentation for PPL CONSET in Appendix C (http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/documentation/users-guide/appendix-c-ferret-specific-pplus-enhancements).
Note that to use PPL CONSET, you must first set up a plot, give the conset command, then draw it:

CONTOUR/SET/LEVELS(...) ....   ! or FILL or SHADE
PPL CONSET,arguments
PPL CONTOUR or FILL or SHADE   ! draw the plot

Billy K