Re: [ferret_users] Animation in ferret

Hi Estanislao,

My First suggestion is to make a set of images and animate them with another tool.  There's some discussion of that in thie recent thread, http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/maillists/tmap/ferret_users/fu_2016/msg00594.html, and also in the Ferret Users guide, http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/documentation/users-guide/animations-gif-images/OVERVIEW#_VPID_215.

PyFerret has a basic animation capability using the REPEAT/ANIMATE qualifier.  It's described a little way down in this document: http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/documentation/pyferret/graphics

An example would be:

> pyferret
        NOAA/PMEL TMAP
        PyFERRET v7.02 (beta/optim)
        Linux 2.6.32-642.6.2.el6.x86_64 - 11/15/16
         1-Dec-16 10:17

yes? set text/font=arial
yes? set win/quality=draft/antialias 1
yes? use coads_climatology
yes? repeat /L=1:12 /loop=3 /animate shade /Y=65S:65N sst

For Classic Ferret, the first thing to check is the backing-store setting on your x-server software, as discussed here,

http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/maillists/tmap/ferret_users/fu_2002/msg00232.html

The animations in Ferret request information back from the first image, and then use that to make the subsequent images in a buffered way to eliminate flashing that would otherwise occur if you just draw multiple plots.  All of this needs the 'backing store' setting.  I think however that this may be among a few other issues we are starting to see with Ferret graphics windows and the XWindows software under newer Linux operating systems.  This is yet another reason we are encouraging people to move to PyFerret when they can.

-Ansley