Re: [ferret_users] regarding ocean area

Thanks Ryo, Ansley and ferreters
for making me understand. i am still working on my problem i hope i will resolve it quickly with your suggestions.

regards, saurabh

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 6:20 PM, Ryo Furue <furue@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Saurabh,

 suppose i want to calculate total heat content of global ocean in joules (a line plot) so how to get the global ocean area only such that
let OHC=heat[z=0:700@ave,x=@ave,y=@ave]  !! units are j/m^2
let TOHC=OHC*(global ocean area)                   !! units are j, TOHC=total OHC

That's a very roundabout approach. You first compute the area average and then multiply the area.  But why?  Look at the definition of area average:

    (area average) = (area integral) / (area)

Ferret does this when you ask for area average. Now, you say you want to compute (area average) * (area), which is the area integral! which you can directly compute with

   x=<xrange>@DIN, y=<yreange>@DIN

If you really, really want to compute the area, you can use this trick:

   (area) = integral dx dy
              = integral 1 dx dy

That is, you first define a function which is 1 in ocean and undefined on land:

    let mask = ifv somevariable then 1
    let area = mask[x=<xrange>@DIN, y=<yrange>@DIN]

Read the manual about @DIN and IFV .

Ryo

--

REGARDS

Saurabh Rathore
Research Scholar (PhD.)
Centre For Oceans, Rivers, Atmosphere & Land Science Technology
Indian Institute Of Technology, Kharagpur
contact :- 91- 8345984434