Re: [ferret_users] regarding ocean area

Dear Ansley

Thank you for your email i understood that ferret use to do weighted averages and neglect the no data grid such as land point in some ocean data. But i also asked that how to get the ocean basin area for the multiplication with the ocean variable.

as is put an example of Total Ocean Heat Content
let OHC=heat[z=0:700@ave]       !! units are j/m^2
let TOHC=OHC*( ocean basin area )                        !! units are j, TOHC=total OHC

suppose for global ocean area is the complete box (i.e. x=360*110*1000, y=180*110*1000) if it is so then this is covering land region also for the area calculation along with ocean region but our variable is defined over ocean only not on land. is there a way such that we can get the ocean area over which the ocean variable is defined so that we can multiple only the area of valid cell rather than the whole box?

regards, saurabh